The National Family Caregivers Association offers some great ideas for celebrating Family Caregiver Month in November. Try one of these ideas or share this information with someone you know:
• Offer to help for a few hours so a caregiver can spend time with friends or relax.
• Send a card or flowers to a family caregiver to brighten their day.
• Encourage local businesses to offer a free service to family caregivers during November.
• Help a family caregiver decorate their home for the holidays. Help them address and mail out holiday letters or cards.
• Offer the gift of humor! Take a caregiver to a funny movie or out to dinner. Give them a funny book to read.
• Get family photos from the caregiver. Create a monthly calendar using the photos for each month. The caregiver can use it to keep up with appointments and other events.
• Offer to prepare or help with Thanksgiving dinner for a family caregiver in your community.
• Help a family caregiver find needed resources on the Internet or find a local support group.
References: National Family Caregivers Association (2009). Speak up! National family care givers month. Available at http://www.nfcacares.org/national_family_caregiver_month/
Source: Kerri Ashurst, Extension Specialist, University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture.