As a result of this meeting, preparations were made to build a house to be dedicated to the worship of God and known as Locust Grove by members B.B. McCarley, Joe McInteer, W.T. McInteer, W.L. Elliott, Ed Elliott, John Starks, L.B. Thurmond, Hugh McCarley, Oren McCarley, L.B. Epperson, J.C. Carter and J.B. Dinning.
It is located just across the Logan County line in Simpson County on KY 103 near Middleton.
Annie Scott agreed to furnish the dwelling site. In 1904, the house was completed. In January 1905, George Ryan, W.D. Sullivan and J.M. Rutherford of Schochoh Church met with Locust Grove members for the purpose of organization.
In addition to those previously listed, the following were accepted as charter members: Cany Epperson, Uriah Soyars, M.E. McCarley, Maude McCarley, Ellen McCarley, Mattie McCarley, Almdia McInteer, Bessie McInteer, Edna McInteer, Zula Elliott, Lucie Carter, Lavinia Jones, Ora Taylor, Sarah Thurman, Daisy Soyars, Emma Haydon, Alta Ray and Ella Dinning.
The following members were chosen as officers, B.B. McCarley, L.B. Thurmond and Ed Elliott, deacons; W.L. Elliott, treasurer; and J.B. Dinning, clerk.
The first sermon was preached by J.N. Armstrong the first Sunday in February 1905. On the third Sunday, there was an accident. Being a typical February Sunday, Almdia McInteer fell on the ground, causing a fracture of her hip bone.
On the fourth Sunday, Bro. J.H. Mead of Logan County began regular preaching on the fourth Sunday of each month, continuing through 1905.
Thus began the congregation; it was started by a small group of Christians guided by their faith and continued by others guided in their faith in the truth of God as recorded in the New Testament.
There was a great interest in the teachings of the Savior; the result was a steady growth and a good influence on the community.
During the first 30 years, there were 307 baptisms and 383 members added to the roll. Subtracting those who had died or moved away, there were still 179 active members in 1935.
In 1922, 15 souls obeyed the gospel; in 1923, there were 28 additions to the kingdom of the Lord. The records show that there were from 7-28 baptisms in each gospel meeting during those years.
There were several years in which upward of 20 souls obeyed the gospel. H.L. Olmstead held a meeting in 1923 in which a record 41 people responded to the invitation. Of these, 28 were baptized into Christ; 13 placed membership or were restored.
After 1935, the congregation continued its steady growth, Sunday School rooms were added, the auditorium was remodeled, a preacher's house was built and regular weekly preaching started.
The result has been the saving of many souls, the influence for good on many others in the church because of fellowship among the congregation and a good influence on the community.
This wouldn't have been possible if not for the faith of a few Christians in 1903. During its rural existence, it has always had elders overseeing the congregation. Several men have served as preachers.
William Turner is the current preacher at Locust Grove. His predecessors have been C.B. Laws, Larry Williams, James Fiveash, Dr. Ted Carruth, Jim Bill McInteer and others.
Harold Jernigan, a recent elder, assisted by Jim Bill McInteer, held the first Vacation Bible School some 30 years, enrolling 139 students.
Current elders are Philip Landrum, James Duer and George Bullington. Locust Grove has produced at least two full-time preachers, both currently active in church work, James Draper of Ripley, Miss. and Jim Bill McInteer of Nashville, Tenn.
Locust Grove Church of Christ will celebrate its 100th anniversary on May 22, 2005. For the morning worship, C.W. Bradley of Memphis, Tenn. will teach the auditorium class, Paul Brown and Paul Hodges will be the song leaders and former minister Jim Bill McInteer will preach.
Afterward, a potluck meal will be served. The afternoon will be spent with singing and speeches by visitors attending Homecoming. William Turner will emcee the assemblies.
The public is invited to attend. Prayers of thanksgiving will be offered to the God of all grace for His 100 years of guidance as His son, Jesus Christ, the Savior of all mankind, is honored for His constant presence and direction of all good things accomplished by this band of devoted Christians.
The prayer of the church is that it may remain faithful to its calling and service to God and man until Jesus comes again.