The Russellville City Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday, May 18 at 4:30 a.m. at 1170 Bowling Green Road. When fire units arrived they had to force entry into the residence and locate the fire.
“The homeowner woke up to intense heat and smoke and dove out his bedroom window,” said fire chief Billy Poole. Unfortunately, the home owner’s dog was still inside the burning structure.
“He told me that his dog was still inside and I told the fire crew operating inside to locate the dog. They very quickly handed it outside, but it was too late, it had already succumbed to the heat and smoke,” said Poole.
The fire was located in the kitchen and was quickly extinguished, said the chief.
The Russellville City Fire Department was assisted by the Logan County Emergency Medical Service, the Logan County Sheriff’s Department and the Russellville City Police Department.
More than 3,500 Americans die each year in fires and approximately 18,300 are injured. An overwhelming number of fires occur in the home. There are time-tested ways to prevent and survive a fire. It’s not a question of luck. It’s a matter of planning ahead.
Buy a smoke alarm at any hardware or discount store. It’s inexpensive protection for you and your family. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. A working smoke alarm can double your chances of survival. Test it monthly, keep it free of dust and replace the battery at least once a year. Smoke alarms themselves should be replaced after ten years of service, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Practice an escape plan from every room in the house. Caution everyone to stay low to the floor when escaping from fire and never to open doors that are hot. Select a location where everyone can meet after escaping the house. Get out then call for help.