The Ten Cannots
In 1916 Rev. Wm. J.H. Boetcket, alarmed at the direction progressives under Woodrow Wilson were taking the country composed a list of 10 truths he called The Ten Cannots:
1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
3. You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
4. You cannot left the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
5. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
6. You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
7. You cannon further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
9. You cannot build character and courage by destroying men’s initiative and independence.
10. And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.
Now, looking at the policies of our current federal government nearly a hundred years later, I’m not sure Rev. Boetcket would change anything in his list. What do you think?
Ronald B. Elder, M.D.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices