The Russellville City Fire Department has been kept busy in 2014 responding to five structure fires and numerous fire alarms the month of January.
The first structure fire came in on Monday, Jan. 6 on East 2nd Street. When fire units arrived they found a two story wood frame home with fire on the second floor. The fire crews quickly brought the fire under control during extreme weather conditions. At the time of early morning fire the temperature was five degrees with a wind chill of four degrees.
The second fire was on Wednesday, Jan. 8 on Hopkinsville Street caused by an electrical short due to a water pipe bursting.
The third fire was on East 1st Street. This fire was started in the chimney and progressed into the wall of the home.
“This fire was very difficult for the firefighters to gain access to,” said Russellville Fire Chief Billy Poole. “The fire extended into the wall behind the chimney and we had to go to the outside of the home and cut through the wall to extinguish the remaining fire.”
The fourth fire was on Cornelious Avenue. This fire, said Poole, was caused by a clothes dryer malfunction. The fire was extinguished and the dryer taken outside of the residence.
The fifth fire in the month of January was at Roy’s Bar B Que cooking room early Saturday, Jan. 25.
“The fire in the cooking pit somehow escaped into the room and started a large fire,” said chief Poole. “When city fire units arrived the entire cooking area was on fire. Fire crews had to force entry into the building, and once inside, quickly extinguished the fire. The building itself sustained minimum damage, but all of the contents inside were a total loss.”