Shooter identified by KSP; Harris had been arrested 10 days ago for breaking into victim’s home, threatened to shoot her

March 5 mug shot of Joseph Harris.

The Kentucky State Police has released the names of the victims of the deadly shooting on North Main Street in Russellville on Tuesday.

The shooter, who was later shot and killed by police, has been identified as 34-year-old Joseph R. Harris of Lewisburg.

According to the KSP, the preliminary investigation shows that Harris pulled into the McDonald’s parking lot and exited his vehicle and shot his former girlfriend, Amanda Harper, 28, of Russellville, who was waiting in the drive-through line in her vehicle.

Harris then fled the scene on foot. Harper exited the parking lot in her vehicle and pulled across North Main Street where she then exited the roadway and struck a building. She was transported to the Medical Center in Bowling Green by Logan County EMS where she is being treated for a single gunshot wound to the upper body and is listed in stable condition.

Harris walked north on North Main Street where he encountered responding Russellville Police Department Sergeant Morris Kisselbaugh and officers Stephen Meredith and Seth Whittaker. Upon being challenged by police, Harris brandished a firearm towards the officers. At this point, all three officers fired at Harris and he was struck approximately three times. Harris was pronounced dead at the scene by the Logan County Coroner’s Office and an autopsy will be performed at the Medical Examiner’s Office in Louisville.

Vanna Krang, 48 of Russellville, was inside the Russellville Donut shop across from where Harris was shot. Krang was struck once in the neck by gunfire. He was flown to TriStar Skyline Medical Center in Nashville where he is listed in stable condition.

The News-Democrat & Leader has learned that Harris was arrested just 10 days earlier after breaking into Harper’s home.

On the arrest report, Harper is identified as being Harris’s girlfriend.

According to the report, Harper called 911 on March 5 and reported that Harris had unlawfully entered her home while she was in the shower and her child was in the living room of the residence.

In the report, Harper stated that Harris said he “ought to beat her head in.” Harper then stated that Harris left to go toward his truck where “she knows him to keep a loaded firearm.”

According to the March 5 report, Harris took Harper’s cell phone while he was leaving her home, after which “he made a reference to shooting her” while walking to his vehicle.

In the report, Meredith confirmed that the chain to the front door was broken. When he made contact with Harris, Meredith then seized a loaded Kel-Tec (.380) pistol in his jeans pocket. Harper’s cell phone, which was reported as stolen, was found in Harris’s vehicle.

Harris was lodged in the Logan County Detention Center on charges of first degree burglary and carrying a concealed deadly weapon.

He spent just over 24 hours in jail before being released on March 6 on a $10,000 cash bond.

March 5 mug shot of Joseph Harris. 5 mug shot of Joseph Harris.
comments powered by Disqus