Ronald B. Elder, M.D. Russellville
January 20, 2014
Fifty years ago on Jan. 8, 1964, President Lyndon Johnson launched his War on Poverty. Despite massive federal government spending the poverty rate today remains at about 15 percent, not much different from the 19 percent 50 years ago.
Eighty different government programs currently spend 1 trillion dollars annually providing cash, food, housing, utilities, medical care, social services and, yes, Obamaphones, for 15 percent of the American population, and Obama wants to spend more. The cost over the past 50 years totals 20.7 trillion dollars. The national debt is not approaching 18 trillion dollars.
ObamaCare has turned health care in this country inside-out allegedly to help the 15 percent of American who either did not have care or were said to be unhappy with their care. Millions of Americans - the 85 percent who studies show were happy with their health care - will lose their current health plans and lost their doctors and hospitals, pay billions more for their health care in the name of helping the poor.
ObamaCare and the War on Poverty are great examples of government programs gone wrong. In both cases 85 percent of Americans lose.
You can’t eliminate 15 percent poverty by impoverishing the other 85 percent.
Ronald B. Elder, M.D.