October 10, 2013
Due to the government shut down, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) calendar has been updated.
Pre-applications for the program for elderly individuals and others on fixed incomes were originally supposed to start during the second week of October, with the program officially opening Nov. 4. That start date has been delayed until November 12, 2013 and the program will run through December 19, 2013. Pre-applications will not be available.
LIHEAP provides heating assistance in the fall and winter months. LIHEAP program assists income-eligible households with home heating costs through two different phases: Subsidy (typically in November and December) and Crisis (typically January through March).
“Last Year, 5,662 households in Community Action’s 10 county area received $761,236 in financial assistance from the LIHEAP Subsidy component. The significant cost of energy to heat homes leaves many low income households unable to fully meet heating bills or purchase sufficient bulk fuel to keep their families safe and warm. Many low income families are paying a higher percentage of their income on housing and utilities than more affluent families, leaving little money for other necessities such as food, clothing, and medicine. Community Action of Southern Kentucky stands ready to help,” said Cheryl Allen, Community Action of Southern Kentucky CEO.
A household shall be considered to be eligible for LIHEAP subsidy when the household meets the basic eligibility criteria:
· Makes and completes an application
· Be responsible for home energy costs, directly or as an undesignated portion of their rent;
· Have a combined household income, for the calendar month prior to the month of application, not in excess of 130% of the federal poverty level as listed in the Income Eligibility Guidelines;
· Live in Kentucky when the application is made and apply in the county of residence; and
· Not have liquid resources in excess of $2,000 or $3,000 if at least one person in the household is 60 years old or disabled, ($4,000 if resources are being used for living expenses due to catastrophic illness).
Applications will be taken in alphabetic order based on the first letter of the head of household’s last name at convenient Community Action offices, where applicants may also pick up the letter day schedule. Applicants must bring the following information to apply:
1. Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that the heating expenses are included in rent
2. Social Security card or Permanent Resident card (Green Card) for each member of the household.
3. Proof of household(all members) income for the preceding month.
Applicants are encouraged to apply at the location nearest to them in their county of residence. Days, hours of operation, locations and telephone numbers are listed at www.casoky.org.
LIHEAP is a statewide initiative sponsored by Community Action Kentucky in partnership with the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS).
The benefit amount that each household receives will be based on its level of poverty and the type of fuel used for heating. All eligible households will receive a benefit, although the benefit amount may not pay the household’s entire fuel bill. Benefits will be made payable to the household’s primary or secondary heating fuel vendor. For more information, go to www.casoky.org or contact your local Community Action Community Services Office.